Dreamweaver and the Adobe Extension Manager
The Dreamweaver CC is ready to be downloaded. Not all the new features of the Dreamweaver CC have been launched at the same time and there are some important updates that we are expecting to be published soon.
We have already made all our extensions compatible with the new Dreamweaver CC to continue keeping our products compatible with all the Dreamweaver versions published after the Dreamweaver MX (launched on May 2002), including it.
We have noted that some users are getting the following error message while trying to install extension in the previous Dreamweaver CS6:
"This extension cannot be used; it requires Dreamweaver 6 or later"
That's a very confusing message since "Dreamweaver 6" means "Dreamweaver MX", not "Dreamweaver CS6". That error happens because the default Adobe Extension Manager isn't the correct one for the Dreamweaver version installed on the computer or because the Adobe Extension Manager isn't correctly linked to the Dreamweaver.
To clarify, below is the list of Dreamweaver version numbers and version names:
- Dreamweaver 6 = Dreamweaver MX
- Dreamweaver 7 = Dreamweaver MX 2004
- Dreamweaver 8 = Dreamweaver 8
- Dreamweaver 9 = Dreamweaver CS3
- Dreamweaver 10 = Dreamweaver CS4
- Dreamweaver 11 = Dreamweaver CS5
- Dreamweaver 11.5 = Dreamweaver CS5.5
- Dreamweaver 12 = Dreamweaver CS6
- Dreamweaver 13 = Dreamweaver CC
The solution to the mentioned error message is to download and install the correct Adobe Extension Manager for the Dreamweaver version that you are using.
You can download the correct version of the Adobe Extension Manager for the latest Dreamweaver versions here: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/
The Adobe Extension Manager for older Dreamweaver versions can be found at the following pages:
- Dreamweaver CC: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/
- Dreamweaver CS6: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/em6_download.html
- Dreamweaver CS5.5: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/em55_download.html
- Dreamweaver CS5: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/em50_download.html
- Dreamweaver CS4: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/em20_download.html
- Dreamweaver CS3: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/em18_download.html
- Dreamweaver MX 2004 and DW 8: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/em17_download.html
- Dreamweaver MX: http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/em16_download.html
Downloading and re-installing the correct Adobe Extension Manager version solves the problem.
Important, note that:
- The Adobe Extension Manager installed must be in the same language than your Dreamweaver version.
- Dreamweaver must appear listed as an available product in the Adobe Extension Manager.
- If you have more than one Adobe product installed in your computer (with different versions) then probably you have more than one Adobe Extension Manager installed into the computer, so instead double clicking the MXP/ZXP file to install the extension, open first the correct Adobe Extension Manager version and then open the MXP/ZXP file from it.
If you are using some of our products then you can also contact our support service and we will assist you to install the extension.